Sunday, October 29, 2006

Fall is in the air.. or is it smog?

Hey friends and family! Sorry it's taken me so long to add to our blog page. I have had trouble logging in (I am sure it was an error on my part), but I think I get it now.
All is well in the Torbert household these days. We've been super busy with work, ministry and with school. The boys had Friday, October 27th, off from school due to Parent/teacher Conferences. Rob and I went to the school to talk with the high school teachers, and we also received grades for the boys' first quarter. We are quite pleased with most of their grades-- all A's and B's. Now, they are working through their first research paper of the 2006 school year. Their rough drafts are due on Monday, November 6th, so we ask that you remember them during this next week of work.
We celebrated Rob's 49th b-day at the office and with friends. The ladies in the office fixed one of Rob's favorite Mexican dishes, "Pastel de Tamal" (Tamale casserole.. more or less). He was a "happy camper" with that wonderful surprise!

Last Sunday, October 22nd, Tina participated in an AVON Walk against Breast Cancer. Five of our ladies from this side of town headed downtown with 9,000 other women and girls to help raise support and awareness. I have never seen so much pink in all my life (not one of my favorite colors, but...). We walked 5 km. in downtown Mexico City. There was also a 10 km run. It was a fun time for all.... and for a great cause. One of my friends (former IMB missionary), Sandra Sasser, is a breast cancer survivor, so she led a large group of ladies from Capital City Baptist Church, where I go to Bible Study on Thursdays. God blessed the day with beautiful weather!
Here are some of the ladies from our mission and from the school. LOVE THAT PINK!
Amy, Julie, Kathryn, Tina and Cheryl

This is Kathryn, the 5-6th grade teacher at MCCA, Amy, a friend who lives and works in Puebla with university students, and me... finishing the 5 km walk. We had a LOT of fun talking and taking pictures along the way (no reason to rush things.. ha!). Amy and Kathryn are like daughters to me (I am old enough to be their Mommas!! ha!). In fact, when I am with them, Mexicans often ask me if they are my daughters... boy, do I feel old!!

This past Saturday, October 28th, our family was invited to attend a TaekWondo Tournament with the Reyes family. Oscar and Miguel are both in advanced levels of TaekWondo, and were able to compete against some of the best. We spent the entire day watching the competitions.. from 5-6 year olds, to adults around our age. (at times, Rob wanted to get up there and join them, but I reminded him of his age.. ha!!). Oscar won 2nd place in "battle", and 1st place in "arms". Miguel won 1st place against black belts. It was an exciting day! ABOVE: Oscar in action. BELOW: Miguel and his instructor/friend after the
competition.

1 comment:

Gregg & Lisa said...

Hey, great pictures! Glad Rob had a good birthday! Wish we could have been there to celebrate with you! Can't wait to spend time with you all at Christmas! We are really looking forward to that! We love ya'll, miss you and pray for you! SEE YOU SOON!!!!